Re: Copy function syntax on 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Mike G.
Subject Re: Copy function syntax on 8.1
Date
List pgsql-novice
On the non windows platforms you can issue the copy statement and the file path syntax is exactly the same as if you
werechanging directories in a shell.  No special escaping or syntax is needed.

It would be nice if the same could be done for those forced to use windows.

In this case one does not really have a choice on whether or not they want to use special backslash processing.

I have no problem using the E'' if it will be supported well into the future.  It just is not as convenient.

Mike

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:39:48PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Mike G." <mike@thegodshalls.com> writes:
> > In testing 8.1 I turned on the escape_string_warning.  Now when I issue a COPY FROM / TO 'C:\\test' I am getting
the"non standard.." warning since file paths in Windows use the \ character.  I can clear the warning by changing the
syntaxto E'C:\\test'.

> > Is their a way to properly escape the \ without using E or will the COPY function have to modified internally to
notreturn a warning if a \ is passed in the file path?