Re: An update rule affecting an after insert trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: An update rule affecting an after insert trigger
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 11:08:26AM -0700, Simrin Grewal wrote:
> I have a table that has an update rule and an after insert trigger on
> it.  The rule checks to see if certain things happened during the update
> and goes and does another insert to a secondary table.  The trigger is
> an after insert trigger to call a stored plpgsql function.  The problem
> I am seeing is that I cannot get the trigger to fire.

You say you have an *update* rule and an *insert* trigger on the
same table.  Is that correct?  Are you doing an INSERT when you
expect the trigger to be called?

It would be easier to help if we could see a complete but minimal
example that demonstates the problem.  That is, the smallest possible
example that somebody could load into an empty database and see the
behavior you're seeing.  Also, what version of PostgreSQL are you
using?

> I have even intentionally broken the stored procedure just to see if
> I was making it to that logic but nothing.

Adding RAISE statements with debugging messages might be preferable
to breaking the code.

--
Michael Fuhr