Re: Startup ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Startup ...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 18:36:55 -0700,
  Gary Fay <gtf_ctim@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a fedora core 3 system. I was able to start the
> postgres server with the tool but I have no idea how
> to create the databases. I am getting errors about my
> user id and I should connect with the one that started
> the server, but I used the tool, not a command.

If you had the server actually running, then you should be able to create
a database using the createdb command.

Probably you want to run createuser first to create a postgres user name
matching your normal account name that has the right to create databases.

When you run createuser you will want to use the -U command to run the command
as the postgres user 'postgres' (or whatever user ran initdb).