Re: Testing of MVCC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Piskorski
Subject Re: Testing of MVCC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 06:01:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> What we really need is a test program that can issue a command on one
> connection (perhaps waiting for it to finish, perhaps not) and then
> issue other commands on other connections, all according to a script.

Well, using Tcl with its Tcl Threads Extension should certainly let
you easily control multiple concurrent PostgreSQL connections.  (The
Thread Extension's APIs are particularly nice for multi-threaded
programming.)  Its docs are here:
 http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tcl/thread/doc/html/

> I am unsure that the existing pg_regress infrastructure is the right
> place to start from.  Perhaps we should look at Expect or something
> similar.

I don't have any clear idea of what sort of tests you want to run
"according to a script" though, so I'm not sure whether the Tcl
Threads Extension, or Expect, or some other tool would best meet your
needs.

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp@piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/