Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 15-Aug-05, at 1:30 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have negotiated with the author of pl/Ruby to release plRuby
> under the PostgreSQL license. The reason I did this is the following:
>
> 1. I felt we needed a truly OO language in core.
Why ? Are you truly going to write huge OO  functions inside the db ?
If not why do you need OO ?

This looks to me to be just another syntax, what can you do in plruby
that you can't do in plpgsql, or plsh, or pltcl, or pl<name> ?