Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Dave Cramer wrote:

> On 15-Aug-05, at 1:30 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have negotiated with the author of pl/Ruby to release plRuby  under
>> the PostgreSQL license. The reason I did this is the following:
>>
>> 1. I felt we needed a truly OO language in core.
>
> Why ? Are you truly going to write huge OO  functions inside the db ?
> If not why do you need OO ?
>
> This looks to me to be just another syntax, what can you do in plruby
> that you can't do in plpgsql, or plsh, or pltcl, or pl<name> ?

I have actually seen quite significant serverside program libs. But in
any case, having support for many server-side languages, OO or not, is a
good thing, IMNSHO. It lets people write in what they are comfortable
and familiar with. That's a selling point. If we follow the line that
it's all just syntactic difference then we should just support one
trusted and one untrusted language. That would be a pity.

cheers

andrew