Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 11:28:22AM +0000, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> >I did not include pg_logdir_ls because that was basically pg_ls_dir with
> >logic to decode the log file name and convert it to a timestamp.  That
> >seemed best done in the client.
>
> IMHO omitting pg_logdir_ls is a bad idea, because the function is
> intended to hide server internal's naming scheme from the user. We want
> as few server side implementation specific client side code as possible.

BTW, it surprised me that one of the functions (don't remember which
one) expected the log files to be named in a very specific fashion.  So
there's no flexibility for changing the log_prefix.  Probably it's not
so bad, but strange anyway.  Is this for "security" reasons?

Y dijo Dios: "Que sea Satanás, para que la gente no me culpe de todo a mí."
"Y que hayan abogados, para que la gente no culpe de todo a Satanás"