Re: Fwd: How to encrypt a column - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Lu
Subject Re: Fwd: How to encrypt a column
Date
List pgsql-sql

I do get a couple of warnings at compile time:
intrasend.c:496:37: warning: multi-character character constant
intrasend.c:496:44: warning: multi-character character constant
intrasend.c:517:84: warning: character constant too long for its type

Here's what is in the variable "data" = "0018`0018`64045`08112005`64045`1````Discount=0.00;``2``~"

printf("%s", encrypt(data, "foo", "bar"))
prints out (null)

Thank you
Owen Jacobson <ojacobson@osl.com> wrote:
Jeff Lu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in encrypting an column in table. Are there any
> example using "C" to create the encrypted column, inserting and
> retreiving data to/from it?
>
> the table is:
> CREATE TABLE mytable (
> id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
> crypted_content BYTEA
> );
>
> I'm getting (null) in the field with the following sql statement:
>
> strcpy(data, "data to be encrypted");
> sprintf(query_buff, "insert into mytable values('%s', '%s')", key,

Try printing out the contents of 'query_buff' here. You shouldn't be
getting NULLs in the table, but you may well be getting '' (the empty
string) if encrypt(data, 'foo', 'bar') returns "" or (char *) (0).

> encrypt(data, 'foo', 'bar'));
> PQexec(conn, query_string);

Even better, don't do i t this way. This is potentially open to SQL
injection attacks and definitely open to problems with "interesting" values
of key.

Look up PQprepare/PQexecParams for separating the query string from the
values. I use ODBC indirectly, so I can't help you directly, but the docs
at

should help.

> Another question is can the encrypted column be of type "text" ?

Can't see any reason why not, so long as the encrypted data is represented
as text.