Re: Fwd: How to encrypt a column - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Hélder M. Vieira
Subject Re: Fwd: How to encrypt a column
Date
List pgsql-sql
>I'm interested in encrypting an column in table.  Are there any example
>using "C" to create the encrypted column, inserting and retreiving data
>to/from it?
>the table is:
>CREATE TABLE mytable (
>     id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
>     crypted_content BYTEA );
>I'm getting (null) in the field with the following sql statement:
>strcpy(data, "data to be encrypted");
>sprintf(query_buff, "insert into mytable values('%s', '%s')", key,
>encrypt(data, 'foo', 'bar'));
>PQexec(conn, query_string);

>Another question is can the encrypted column be of type "text" ?

I'd check a previous critical point ... The encrypt() function output.
What is the range of characters in encrypt() output ?
Control, null or false escape characters, if not properly escaped, could be
misleading either sprintf or the query processor in pg.

Helder M. Vieira