Re: 5 new entries for FAQ - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: 5 new entries for FAQ
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 10:44:14AM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > +    <H3><A name="4.22">4.22</A>) Why are PostgreSQL table names case-sensitive?</H3>
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/features.html doesn't
>     contain "fold" (as in "case folding") at all, doesn't this topic
>     belong rather there? The FAQ entry could point to, and maybe extend,
>     the (still nonexistent) text in that document.

Well, it's not a feature, so I'm not sure why it would be mentioned
there. It's PostgreSQL's implementation of the standard. It is all
explained it detail in:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-syntax.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

It's just that the question as stated comes up regularly and in this
form, which is why I did that. Perhaps a link would be a good idea.

> > +    <H3><A name="4.23">4.23</A>) Why is PostgreSQL only using one CPU to execute my query?</H3>
>
>     Something like this is missing from
>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/overview.html.

Again, the necessary information is in:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/connect-estab.html

But if they don't read that bit or don't understand the consequences of
it they're going to come asking a question like the way I wrote it. I
think it would be a footnote in that section of the docs.

> > +    <H3><A name="4.25">4.25</A>) What does 'index row size ... exceeds btree maximum, 2713' mean?</H3>
> > +
> > +    <P>Unlike some databases, PostgreSQL allows you to create an index on
> > +    any column, including unlimited text fields. However, B-Tree indexes
> > +    need to be able to hold at least three key values per page and since the
> > +    pagesize defaults to 8K minus some overhead, this means the maximum key
> > +    size is 2713 bytes.
>
>     This is missing from
>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createindex.html
>     and/or http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/indexes.html

Well, I don't see it in the docs, maybe I missed it. It should at the
very least be in the FAQ. Not sure where else it should go...

Have a nice day,

Attachment