Re: 5 new entries for FAQ - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roman Neuhauser
Subject Re: 5 new entries for FAQ
Date
List pgsql-general
# kleptog@svana.org / 2005-08-10 11:22:16 +0200:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 10:44:14AM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > > +    <H3><A name="4.22">4.22</A>) Why are PostgreSQL table names case-sensitive?</H3>
> >
> >     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/features.html doesn't
> >     contain "fold" (as in "case folding") at all, doesn't this topic
> >     belong rather there? The FAQ entry could point to, and maybe extend,
> >     the (still nonexistent) text in that document.
>
> Well, it's not a feature, so I'm not sure why it would be mentioned
> there. It's PostgreSQL's implementation of the standard.

    That page has this heading: "Appendix D. SQL Conformance"

> It is all explained it detail in:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-syntax.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

    Seeing as the last para in 4.1.1. Identifiers and Key Words seems to
    be almost exactly what you came up with (not accusing you of
    "plagiarism" or such, the wording is obvious, and different people
    will arrive at virtually identical explanations), wouldn't just
    linking there suffice? (I'm a bit worried about information scatter
    and duplication).

> It's just that the question as stated comes up regularly and in this
> form, which is why I did that. Perhaps a link would be a good idea.

    Yes, that question is quite common, and perfectly answered in the
    documentation; I would just point at it from the FAQ.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.