Re: 5 new entries for FAQ - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: 5 new entries for FAQ
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 07:40:23PM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # kleptog@svana.org / 2005-08-10 11:22:16 +0200:
> > Well, it's not a feature, so I'm not sure why it would be mentioned
> > there. It's PostgreSQL's implementation of the standard.
>
>     That page has this heading: "Appendix D. SQL Conformance"

Ah, well, I'm not going to comment on what should or shouldn't be on
that page. I've never seen nor read the standard so I'm not the right
person to decide on that.

> > It is all explained it detail in:
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-syntax.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS
>
>     Seeing as the last para in 4.1.1. Identifiers and Key Words seems to
>     be almost exactly what you came up with (not accusing you of
>     "plagiarism" or such, the wording is obvious, and different people
>     will arrive at virtually identical explanations), wouldn't just
>     linking there suffice? (I'm a bit worried about information scatter
>     and duplication).

Heh, it is the same really. I guess after a certain number of times you
just end up saying the same thing as the docs. I guess it could be
trimmed to remove the duplication...

Attachment