Re: pgcrypto 3des failure, OpenSSL 0.9.8, Solaris 9/sparc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: pgcrypto 3des failure, OpenSSL 0.9.8, Solaris 9/sparc
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 02:18:00PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Marko Kreen <marko@l-t.ee> writes:
> > On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:40:08AM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> >> On my Solaris 9/sparc box with OpenSSL 0.9.8-beta6, the pgcrypto
> >> regression tests fail the 3des test.  I haven't checked against
> >> older versions of OpenSSL; I'll do so when I get a chance.
>
> > It is a bug in pgcrypto.  I can only excuse it with my strong antipathy
> > towards 3des.
>
> Patch applied.
>
> Now that I look, the reason the buildfarm failed to find this is of
> course that the pgcrypto Makefile is configured to never build or test
> this code.  Would it be reasonable to fix the makefile to follow the
> toplevel --with-openssl choice?

Heh.  As it happens, I just researched the same thing.  This
will be especially imortant with the new PGP code, which simply
does not work without OpenSSL.

I see 2 variants:

1) put @with_openssl@ and @with_zlib@ variables into  contrib/pgcrypto/Makefile.in and let configure process it.
2) put them in some other makefile fragment under src/  and let pgcrypto include it.

First I did the simple thing and put them into Makefile.global.in,
but this does not work, as it needs to be included _after_ all
module variables are set.  So 2) needs a new file.

--
marko