Re: User authorization - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: User authorization
Date
List pgsql-general
* Wayne Johnson (wdtj@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Is there a way to do this automatically?  Say, to make all new objects
> accessible (or even owned) by a group?  Something like the sticky bit in
> a directory on UNIX.

8.1 is expected to have Roles support in it, which merges users and
groups into one space.  Roles can log in, can have passwords, and can
have members.  Members of a role have the permissions (including
owner-level permissions for objects owned by that role) of the role.

Personally I'd really like to see a way to set the 'default owner' for a
schema to help with exactly these issues.  That wasn't included in the
Roles support but I think is a natural follow-on to it since the schema
could be owned by a Role which has members.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment