copy from file and overwrite existing entries? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Mattes Sarcander
Subject copy from file and overwrite existing entries?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,
I am really new to database administration, so forgive me if I overlook
something obvious ;>

I want to import data from a csv file into an existing, non-empty table.
My problem is the fact that I get an "ERROR:  duplicate key violates
unique constraint", because, as psql correctly grumbles, some entries
are already inside the tables. I would like to overwrite these existing
entries, as the data from the csv files is newer.
I have seen the UPDATE command, but I don't know how to combine that
with import from a file.

How can I accomplish that import? And what is the technically correct
description of my problem, so I can use a search engine next time?

Thanks in advance,
Mattes

Attachment