Re: WAL bypass for CTAS - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Russell Smith
Subject Re: WAL bypass for CTAS
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 10:29 am, Neil Conway wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Well, it isn't going to help us for 8.1 because 8.0 will not have it,
> > and if we add the clause we make loading the data into previous releases
> > harder.
>
> pg_dump output in general is not compatible with prior releases. It
> would be a nice feature to have, but until we have it, I don't see that
> changing or not changing the COPY syntax will make a major difference to
> dump backward compatibility.

Don't we usually suggest using the new pg_dump to dump the old database anyway?

If that's the case, then we just add the locking options in there.  Otherwise, yes you are
stuck with the original locking mechanism.  But if people are smart and want faster loading
they will play with sed and friends to make it work.

Even if people for 8.1 just get the supposed 500% speed increase because of a better parser,
lots of people will be happy.

Regards

Russell Smith