Re: Significance of Database Encoding [ update ] - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rajesh Mallah
Subject Re: Significance of Database Encoding [ update ]
Date
List pgsql-sql

I am not sure why the characters did not display properly
in the mailling list archives.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2005-05/msg00102.php

but when i do the select in my screen (xterm -u8) i do
see the japanese glyphs properly.

Regds
Mallah.

--- Rajesh Mallah <mallah_rajesh@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I would want to know what is the difference between databases
> that are created using UNICODE encoding and SQL_ASCII encoding.
>
> I have an existing database that has SQL_ASCII encoding but
> still i am able to store multibyte characters that are not
> in ASCII character set. for example:
>
> tradein_clients=# \l
>
>   List of databases
> +-----------------+----------+-----------+
> |      Name       |  Owner   | Encoding  |
> +-----------------+----------+-----------+
> | template0       | postgres | SQL_ASCII |
> | template1       | postgres | SQL_ASCII |
> | tradein_clients | tradein  | SQL_ASCII |
> +-----------------+----------+-----------+
>
> tradein_clients=# SELECT  * from t_A;
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |                                    a                                                 |
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | 私はガラス

> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> Above is some japanese character.
>
> I have seen some posting regarding migrating databases from
> SQL_ASCII to UNICODE, given the above observation what
> significance does a migration have.
>
> Regards
>
> Rajesh Kumar Mallah.

> Yahoo! Mail Mobile