Significance of Database Encoding - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rajesh Mallah
Subject Significance of Database Encoding
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi ,

I would want to know what is the difference between databases
that are created using UNICODE encoding and SQL_ASCII encoding.

I have an existing database that has SQL_ASCII encoding but
still i am able to store multibyte characters that are not
in ASCII character set. for example:

tradein_clients=# \l          List of databases
+-----------------+----------+-----------+
|      Name       |  Owner   | Encoding  |
+-----------------+----------+-----------+
| template0       | postgres | SQL_ASCII |
| template1       | postgres | SQL_ASCII |
| tradein_clients | tradein  | SQL_ASCII |
+-----------------+----------+-----------+

tradein_clients=# SELECT  * from t_A;
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                                    a                                                 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 私はガラス                                                                           |

Above is some japanese character.

I have seen some posting regarding migrating databases from
SQL_ASCII to UNICODE, given the above observation what
significance does a migration have.

Regards

Rajesh Kumar Mallah.

Yahoo! Mail Mobile