Re: encoding - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Aarni Ruuhimäki
Subject Re: encoding
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

In my experience , I think your best bet and an all-around good general
encoding to use is latin1, which copes with l'accent egys & graves, umlauts,
harasoos and others.

Not so sure about the M$-import stuff though. Or asp or .net. Read the Gates
Private Licence ...

You might also want (re?)configure your Pg-system with --enable-locale and set
your preferred locale and db default encoding in initdb to suit your needs,
in order to have alphabetical sortings etc. work ok.

BR,

Aarni

On Friday 06 May 2005 16:50, you wrote:
> I am not clear on what makes this work?
>

> I am going live Sunday and have thus far been using SQL_ASCHII.
>
> I still have the feeling I should be using something else, but when I used
> Unicode my conversion from MSSQL blew up on encoding error for a char that
> wasn't plain ASCHII(IE French or Spanish etc.).
>
> The conversion program ran fine when I chose SQL_ASCHII.
>
> The data is on a windows 2k MSSQL database.
>
> The conversion program is a .net app that reads from MSSQL win2k data base
> and writes to postgtres 8.0.2 on Redhat AS4.
>
> I tried to get this to work a while back and found if I set the encoding
> explicitly on the connect in the .net connector it did not give me an
> error, but I still have many asp pages and I could not get the encoding set
> using the ODBC (which is what the asp pages use).
>
> I believe I tried setting it with a sql statement, but that did not seem to
> help either.
>
> I can move forward using SQL_ASCHII, but would prefer to have encoding set
> properly, but I ma not sure what I am missing.
>

> Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>

> Joel Fradkin

This is a bugfree broadcast to you
from **Kmail**