encoding - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joel Fradkin
Subject encoding
Date
List pgsql-sql

I am not clear on what makes this work?

I am going live Sunday and have thus far been using SQL_ASCHII.

I still have the feeling I should be using something else, but when I used Unicode my conversion from MSSQL blew up on encoding error for a char that wasn’t plain ASCHII(IE French or Spanish etc.).

The conversion program ran fine when I chose SQL_ASCHII.

The data is on a windows 2k MSSQL database.

The conversion program is a .net app that reads from MSSQL win2k data base and writes to postgtres 8.0.2 on Redhat AS4.

I tried to get this to work a while back and found if I set the encoding explicitly on the connect in the .net connector it did not give me an error, but I still have many asp pages and I could not get the encoding set using the ODBC (which is what the asp pages use).

I believe I tried setting it with a sql statement, but that did not seem to help either.

I can move forward using SQL_ASCHII, but would prefer to have encoding set properly, but I ma not sure what I am missing.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Joel Fradkin