Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> The issue is that we have had to wack around the existing PL languages
>>> for almost every release to make them work with server changes, and
>>> being outside our CVS, plPHP isn't getting that whacking.
>>

>> And the point is, as Tom has pointed out with tsearch2, that even *in* CVS,
>> it is a fair amount of work to 'whack' other ppls code ... it shouldn't be
>> Tom's responsibility (which is generally what it comes down to) to keep
>> someone else's code up to speed with changes in the server ...
>
> Well we try to keep up :)

I'm not pointing fingers at you either :)  But, you are one of how many
that try and get 'added to core'?  How many things do we have in contrib
that the only person that does any 'whacking' is Tom?  A couple I've seen
patches go around for, but for a good portion of them, I imagine that they
are 'dead except that Tom keeps fixing them' ...

Tom's focus shouldn't be making sure that everyone's third party add on
"still works" during a release cycle, that should be the responsibility of
the maintainers of those projects, to follow changes and make sure they
are implemented ...

That is what pgFoundry was setup for ... to give projects the visibiilty
they would get through the core distribution by making sure they are
referenced in a central place, but providing the maintainers with direct
CVS access to make changes to their code in a timely manner .. *shrug*

----