Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> I'm not pointing fingers at you either :)  But, you are one of how many
> that try and get 'added to core'?  How many things do we have in contrib
> that the only person that does any 'whacking' is Tom?  A couple I've
> seen patches go around for, but for a good portion of them, I imagine
> that they are 'dead except that Tom keeps fixing them' ...

In contrib I would bet a lot. I have argued for the removal of TSearch
(not TSearch2) for example. Also RServ could probably stand to be removed.

However we are not talking about contrib (or at least I am not). We were
talking about PLs which are a little bit of a different beast.

> Tom's focus shouldn't be making sure that everyone's third party add on
> "still works" during a release cycle, that should be the responsibility
> of the maintainers of those projects, to follow changes and make sure
> they are implemented ...

I would agree, I suggested test cases for contrib once. I think that
would be very good. If the contrib fails the test case for itself say
after (this could go for pls to) Beta2 then it gets yanked.

> That is what pgFoundry was setup for ... to give projects the visibiilty
> they would get through the core distribution by making sure they are
> referenced in a central place, but providing the maintainers with direct
> CVS access to make changes to their code in a timely manner .. *shrug*

It was what pgFoundry was setup for but as I have said elsewhere
perception is everything.

If it isn't in core, it is a second class project. Regardless of how we
all "want" to feel about it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting