Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I'm not pointing fingers at you either :)  But, you are one of how many
>> that try and get 'added to core'?  How many things do we have in contrib
>> that the only person that does any 'whacking' is Tom?  A couple I've seen
>> patches go around for, but for a good portion of them, I imagine that they
>> are 'dead except that Tom keeps fixing them' ...
>
> In contrib I would bet a lot. I have argued for the removal of TSearch (not
> TSearch2) for example. Also RServ could probably stand to be removed.

rserv was removed long ago ... not sure why tsearch is in there stil
though ...

> If it isn't in core, it is a second class project. Regardless of how we
> all "want" to feel about it.

As you've seen in the note that I sent to you ... my biggest 'beef'
against continually adding things is the download size just keeps growing,
and when someone already has the core installed, having to redownload it
because they've decided to add something like pl/PHP when pl/PHP doesn't
need anything but the headers/libraries that are already installed seems
idiotic at best ... if some method of extending 'make dist' for the
release cycle can be devised so that pl/PHP (and the other pl/'s would be
nice eventually) tar *with* the core .tar.gz *and* a seperate
plphp-<release>.tar.gz file that can be downloaded seperately, my
arguments against will have been negated ...

----