Re: Increased company involvement

From: Bruce Momjian
Subject: Re: Increased company involvement
Date: ,
List: pgsql-hackers

Tree view

Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Robert Treat, )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
  Re: Increased company involvement  (Thomas Hallgren, )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Hannu Krosing, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Hannu Krosing, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
 Re: Increased company involvement  (Andrew Dunstan, )
  Re: Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
  Re: Increased company involvement  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Re: Increased company involvement  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
     Re: Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
      Re: Increased company involvement  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
       Re: Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
       Re: Increased company involvement  ("Marc G. Fournier", )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Robert Treat, )
   Re: Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: Increased company involvement  ("Marc G. Fournier", )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Kris Jurka, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Chris Travers, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Nicolai Petri (lists)", )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Kris Jurka, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Robert Treat, )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (David Fetter, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Robert Treat, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Christopher Browne, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
 [OT] Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Tom Copeland, )
  Re: [OT] Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Russell Smith, )
   Re: [OT] Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Mitch Pirtle, )

Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <> writes:
> > Regarding the secret code stuff - I predict that it will quickly bite
> > whoever does it, unless they are extremely lucky.
>
> Yeah.  Bruce and I were worrying about this on the phone today.
> If a company is doing some work with the intent that it's a proprietary
> extension they can sell, no problem --- the BSD license is specifically
> intended to let them do that.  What's bothering us is the thought that
> people are off in corners developing code that they think they are going
> to contribute back into the community code base "after it's done".  Past
> history shows that the odds of getting such things accepted into the PG
> community code base are *very* bad if you didn't communicate with the
> community from the start of your development process.
>
> We'd like to avoid such unpleasant surprises, but how to get the word
> out?

Well, I received a private email with most of the companies involved as
CC's and many of them have made comments on the issue, so I think we can
say they saw the postings on this topic.