Re: oid wraparound - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Russell Smith
Subject Re: oid wraparound
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:24 pm, Hubert Fröhlich wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> some time ago, there was a discussion about oid wraparound. See
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-10/msg00561.php .
>
> Those days, we had PostgreSQL 7.1 and 7.2, and we had to be careful
> oids approaching 2^32 (2.14 billion)
>
> Now, we have 8.0. What does the situation look like? Where do I have to
> be careful:
>
> OID > 2billion? 4billion?
>
> What about the danger of TID wraparounds? (databases are VACUUMed regularly)

With 8.0 you only need to make sure you do database wide vacuums every 1 billion transactions
or so.  If you do that, then there is not problem when the XID (Transaction ID) wraps around.
Postgresql will know which transaction were in the past, and which were in the future.

Regards

Russell Smith.