Re: Problem with PITR recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Problem with PITR recovery
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Paesold wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> OK, makes sense.  Could we give them a command to archive it before they
> >> shut down?  That would make sense.
> >
> > Not if the idea is to be certain you got everything ... I think what we
> > have to do is document a manual procedure for archiving the last XLOG
> > file.
>
> What Bruce would want is a way to "stop new transactions, archive and
> shutdown", which would do this atomically. Then we could have another
> shutdown switch for pg_ctl.

Yea, probably a separate switch, or an additional switch to pg_clt would
be best, but then we have to add to pg_ctl.

> But yea, a documentation for a manual procedure would be ok, too, just not
> as user friendly.

Right.  I just hate the 'do this, do that' instructions to PITR.  When
they get too long/complex, I get worried.

I used to use Informix's ontape, which was a bad user interface because
the admin had to be sure it was always running.  Anyway, when you
control-C'ed the process, it would flush out any partially written wal
file and you knew you had everything.

I am thinking a special pg_ctl flag, and disabling -W for that so you
have to wait for the success message.  Of course we then have to
document the use of the pg_ctl flag then.

Pennsylvania19073