Re: pg_dump fails - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Russell Smith
Subject Re: pg_dump fails
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:53 pm, Lorenzo Thurman wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I've tried recompiling with my install build
> settings, but no luck. I've posted a message on the Gentoo forums.
> Hopefully they will have an answer. If they do, I'll post back here for
> future reference.

I read your post in the forums.  And as Tom suggested, it's going nothing to do with pg_dump,
you need to remerge postgresql at the very least, and with some C and USE flags you understand.

The Usual Gentoo causes come to mind first.  USE flags set correctly?  what are they?

What are your GCC flags.  I see a lot of gentoo users who just about turn on every compiler flag
without actually knowing what they do, or how they effect things.  Are your C_FLAGS conservative?

I've been using Postgresql on gentoo for both 7.4, and 8.0 from beta to 8.0.2 with no problems.  But then
I always set my C_FLAGS to something conservative like CGLAGS="-march=i586 -mcpu=i586 -O2 -pipe"
yes, it may seems a "Gentoo Conservative" buy I don't get broken software.  Always check extra patches
applied to the default distribution if you ever have trouble to weed out problem.  And never build with and
USE flags you don't understand the implications of.  Especially package specific ones.

I understand Tom's frustration, as Redhat is in business and ships quality checked software, and Gentoo
is run by a community group.  Of which I think may of the packagers are not tied to the projects they are
packaging.  But I also think there is often fault with the Gentoo user attempting to bleed his system a little
too much for speed, without considering the stability or even understand it.

Regards

Russell Smith.