Re: Problems with PQfmod() returning -1 on varchar field (libpq-8.0.0 )? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Problems with PQfmod() returning -1 on varchar field (libpq-8.0.0 )?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 04:21:03PM -0800, Jerry Day wrote:

> I've recently encountered a situation where PQfmod() fails to return the
> defined length of a varchar field referenced in a query, as expected -
> returning no information (-1), instead. Has anyone else encountered this
> issue? If so, why does this occur? Can you recommended a method to more
> reliably obtain the length of varchar fields, as defined in the relations
> referenced by a query?

Are you sure the column has a length specifier?  What does "\d tablename"
show, or what's the result of the following query?

SELECT attname, attnum, atttypid::regtype, atttypmod
FROM pg_attribute
WHERE attrelid = 'tablename'::regclass AND attnum >= 1 AND attisdropped IS FALSE
ORDER by attnum;

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/