Re: HEAD \df doesn't show functions with no arguments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: HEAD \df doesn't show functions with no arguments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 01:06:39AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> > The problem appears to be that proargtypes[0] is now NULL instead
> > of 0.  Here's a simplified version of the \df query:
>
> >   SELECT proname
> >   FROM pg_catalog.pg_proc p
> >   WHERE p.proargtypes[0] <> 'pg_catalog.cstring'::pg_catalog.regtype
> >     AND p.proname ~ '^foo$';
>
> We could fix it by changing <> to IS DISTINCT FROM ... but I've never
> been very happy with the idea that \df tries to suppress I/O functions
> anyway.  How do you feel about removing the cstring test altogether?

Wouldn't bother me -- I'd rather see what's there and make the
"uninteresting" call myself, if that's the only reason for not
showing the I/O functions.  It's not like they'd overwhelm the
output.

CREATE DATABASE foo TEMPLATE = template0;
\c foo

SELECT count(*) FROM pg_proc WHERE proargtypes[0] = 'cstring'::regtype;count
(1 row)

SELECT count(*) FROM pg_proc;count
------- 1760
(1 row)