Re: psql and pg_dump using obselete copy commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: psql and pg_dump using obselete copy commands
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Oh, if we do that, do we disallow connecting to older servers?
>
> Not at all, since the logic would be like this:
>
> if we have new copy functions
>    and we have protocol version function
>      and protocol version >= 3
>        then use new copy functions
> else
>    use old copy functions
>
> That would be even simpler if someone would answer my question about the
> new copy functions working on a pre v3 server.  (I'm setting up to test
> that atm)

I just talked to Christopher via IM. He says the new fuctions work with
older server, and pg_dump always uses the libpq version that shipped
with that version (or a newer one) so we have for TODO added:
      o Update pg_dump and psql to use the new COPY libpq API

Pennsylvania19073