Re: plpython function problem workaround - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David
Subject Re: plpython function problem workaround
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 03:41:37PM +0000, Ragnar Hafstað wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 07:33 -0600, David wrote:
>
> > [about the line-termination problem in plpython]
>
> > I'd like to insert one note here.  While I'm not particularly familiar
> > with either perl or python, when I encountered the referred-to thread
> > regarding Windows/Unix newline incompatibilities in Python, I ran some
> > tests on my Linux system.  I wrote some very simple scripts in Perl and
> > Python and tested them.  They ran OK when I saved them in native Linux
> > newlines, they ran, but if I saved them in DOS mode (vim), neither the
> > Python nor the Perl scripts would run.
>
> actually, perl scripts with \r\n line endings will run just fine in
> unix/linux.

Yes, I believe Michael Fuhr demonstrated that quite admirably in another

> what you might have been experiencing, is the fact that the
> unix shell is expecting \n lineendings, and the #! line could have been
> failing to run the perl executable.

Yes, I'm now certain you are correct.  On retesting, I caught something
I didn't when I first ran them - the error message was identical for
each language.  The message was
": bad interpreter: No such file or directory"

If the error had been internal to the language, I'm sure the messages
from each would have been different.

I guess this shows what happens when you shoot off your mouth when you
don't know what you're talking about.