Re: plpython function problem workaround - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: plpython function problem workaround
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 03:41:37PM +0000, Ragnar Hafstað wrote:

> actually, perl scripts with \r\n line endings will run just fine in
> unix/linux.

Indeed, and PL/Perl doesn't care.  I just tested several PLs with
PostgreSQL 8.0.1 on Solaris 9 and here are the results:

PL/pgSQL   CRLF ok
PL/Perl    CRLF ok
PL/Ruby    CRLF ok
PL/Tcl     CRLF ok
PL/Python  CRLF fails
PL/R       CRLF fails

Details:

CREATE FUNCTION test_pgsql() RETURNS integer AS
'DECLARE x integer;\r\nBEGIN\r\nx := 123;\r\nRETURN x;\r\nEND;\r\n'
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE FUNCTION test_perl() RETURNS integer AS
'$x = 123;\r\nreturn $x;\r\n'
LANGUAGE plperl;

CREATE FUNCTION test_ruby() RETURNS integer AS
'x = 123\r\nreturn x\r\n'
LANGUAGE plruby;

CREATE FUNCTION test_tcl() RETURNS integer AS
'set x 123\r\nreturn $x\r\n'
LANGUAGE pltcl;

CREATE FUNCTION test_python() RETURNS integer AS
'x = 123\r\nreturn x\r\n'
LANGUAGE plpythonu;

CREATE FUNCTION test_r() RETURNS integer AS
'x <- 123\r\nreturn(x)\r\n'
LANGUAGE plr;

SELECT test_pgsql();
 test_pgsql
------------
        123
(1 row)

SELECT test_perl();
 test_perl
-----------
       123
(1 row)

SELECT test_ruby();
 test_ruby
-----------
       123
(1 row)

SELECT test_tcl();
 test_tcl
----------
      123
(1 row)

SELECT test_python();
ERROR:  plpython: could not compile function "test_python"
DETAIL:  exceptions.SyntaxError: invalid syntax (line 2)

SELECT test_r();
ERROR:  R interpreter parse error
DETAIL:  R parse error caught in "PLR36865 <- function() {x <- 123
return(x)
}".
CONTEXT:  In PL/R function test_r

If I remove the CRs from the Python and R functions then they work:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_python() RETURNS integer AS
'x = 123\nreturn x\n'
LANGUAGE plpythonu;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_r() RETURNS integer AS
'x <- 123\nreturn(x)\n'
LANGUAGE plr;

SELECT test_python();
 test_python