Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] snprintf causes regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] snprintf causes regression tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> First line of thought: we surely must not insert a snprintf into
> >> libpq.so unless it is 100% up to spec *and* has no performance issues
> >> ... neither of which can be claimed of the CVS-tip version.
>
> > Agreed, and we have to support all the 64-bit specifications a port
> > might support like %qd and %I64d as well as %lld.  I have added that to
> > our current CVS version.
>
> I really dislike that idea and request that you revert it.

Done.

> > Is there any way we can have just gettext() call our snprintf under a
> > special name?
>
> The issue only comes up in libpq --- in the backend there is no reason
> that snprintf can't be our snprintf, and likewise in self-contained
> programs like psql.  It might be worth the pain-in-the-neck quality to
> have libpq refer to the functions as pq_snprintf etc.  Perhaps we could
> do this via macros
>
> #define snprintf    pq_snprintf
>
> and not have to uglify the source code.

Yes, this is what I was thinking of too.  I think it would need a macro
in libpq to map the libc names to the pq_* names, and a separate /port C
file that maps the normal libc names to the pg_* names.  For client
applications and the backend, this new C file would catch all the
snprintf calls, while for libpq the pg_* calls would be used directly
and the new C file with the libc symbols would not be pulled in.

Does that sound like a plan?

The reason we can't just use the macro everwhere is that we don't want
applications using libpq to all be using pg_* functions, only psql and
our own.  The only other solution I can think of is to make sure all
client apps use FRONTEND as a define and trigger the macros from libc
names to pg_* names on that.