Re: Execute and PortalSuspended needs explicit transaction - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Subject Re: Execute and PortalSuspended needs explicit transaction
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oliver Jowett wrote:
> Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote:
>
>> After some testing, I could send an Execute message with 2 as the manx
>> number of rows. After the second execute I get the following:
>>
>> portal "" does not exist
>> Severity: ERROR
>> Code: 34000
>>
>> I noticed that I could only get it working if I explicitly create a
>> transaction.
>>
>> I thought it could be some Sync() messages I was sending after the first
>> execute, but when I removed them, I still get the problems.
>

> If you're sending any Sync messages at all between the two Executes, it
> will indeed cause problems as Sync causes any implicitly-opened
> transaction to be closed, which will in turn invalidate any non-holdable
> portals.
>
> Do you have a trace of all the messages sent?
>
> -O

Hi Oliver.

Sorry for late response.

I have this sequence of calls from my client app:

Parse

Bind

Execute passing 2 as max rows.

And later a second Execute passing 2 as max rows.

Is there some flag or opt I can pass to postmaster so that it could log
the messages received?

On this second execute I get the error I told you. If I use an explicit
transaction, it works.

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Membro Fundador do Projeto MonoBrasil - MonoBrasil Project Founder Member
http://monobrasil.softwarelivre.org

"Science without religion is lame;
religion without science is blind."
                  ~ Albert Einstein