Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Oh, sorry.  So there is no ordering in Unicode?

That statement is meaningless.  Unicode is a character set, not a
collation order.

> No wonder some
> languages can't use Unicode effectively.

That has nothing to do with it.

>         o Disallow encodings like UTF8 which PostgreSQL supports
>           but the operating system does not (already disallowed by
>           pginstaller)

I think the warning that initdb shouts out is already enough for this.
I don't think we want to disallow this for people who know what they
are doing.

> I assume C just compares the bytes, meaning equality comparisons are
> fine, but greater/less than is consistent but meaningless.

That statement is independent of whether you use Unicode or something
else.

--
Peter Eisentraut