Re: Making NULL entries appear first when ORDER BY ASC - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Making NULL entries appear first when ORDER BY ASC
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:54:50 -0600, "Thomas F.O'Connell" <tfo@sitening.com> wrote:
> How would one know from the reference material that it is possible to
> include IS NOT NULL in an ORDER BY clause?
>
> Similarly, other than the FAQ, I've never been able to tell from the
> SELECT documentation why ORDER BY random() works.

From the SELECT command documentation:
SELECT [ ALL | DISTINCT [ ON ( expression [, ...] ) ] ]   * | expression [ AS output_name ] [, ...]   [ FROM from_item
[,...] ]   [ WHERE condition ]   [ GROUP BY expression [, ...] ]   [ HAVING condition [, ...] ]   [ { UNION | INTERSECT
|EXCEPT } [ ALL ] select ]   [ ORDER BY expression [ ASC | DESC | USING operator ] [, ...] ]   [ LIMIT { count | ALL }
]  [ OFFSET start ]   [ FOR UPDATE [ OF table_name [, ...] ] ]

Notice that for ORDER BY you can supply an expression. That should be a big
clue why you can use IS NOT NULL and random() in an ORDER BY clause.