Re: postgresql 7.4.6 slowing down - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: postgresql 7.4.6 slowing down
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:20:39PM +0700, Frans wrote:
> last vacuumdb was 5 or 6  months ago, but the transactions is not big
> (about 500-1000 transaction a day). The postmaster did not eating up
> memory, but eating up processor process.

There's your problem. If you don't vacuumdb, then the files will get
bigger and bigger and postgresql gets slower and slower. You probably
need to do a VACUUM FULL and a full REINDEX to get everything back to
normal...

Maybe you should install the autovacuum if you're not going to schedule
it normally...

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:13:49 -0700, Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:28:28AM +0700, Frans wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm using Fedora Core 2, apache 2.0 and postgresql 7.4.6.
> > > Recently, the application is slowing down. When I check the process
> > > using "top", sometimes postmaster process time is increasing and the
> > > process is never end, I think this cause the application slowing down
> > > and sometimes this process make the server slowing down and I have to
> > > restart postmaster.
> >
> > Have you investigated what queries are running?  See configuration
> > settings like stats_command_string and log_min_duration_statement
> > in the "Run-time Configuration" section of the "Server Run-time
> > Environment" chapter of the documentation:
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/runtime-config.html

Hope this helps,

Attachment