Re: [BUGS] My postmaster just crashed ! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: [BUGS] My postmaster just crashed !
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 03:07:39PM -0600, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> > I think it is an internal thing with gcc that the size of a pointer
> > and
> > sizeof(int) are always the same, regardless of machine word size...
> > with a 64-bit binary, sizeof(int) and sizeof(void *) should both be 8,
> > which still causes them to be equal.
>
> On AMD64, gcc produced: int 4 long 8 pointer 8

And this is as it's supposed to be. 32-bit architectures are usually
ILP32 (ints, longs and pointers are 32 bits) whereas 64-bit
architectures are generally LP64 (longs and pointers are 64 bits but
ints are *not*).

I'm sure you could search for reasons why this is but this is how it
is.

Have a nice day,

Attachment