Re: update from multiple rows - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: update from multiple rows
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:36:11AM +0000, adam etienne wrote:

> In fact the computation is somewhat more complex than an average and the
> data set is quite large... I did some test with view & triggers but it's
> too slow..

Can you provide any more detail about the algorithm and the number
of rows that you might have to insert or update?  How did the test
triggers work?  If you used row-level triggers and if a trigger on
one row updated multiple rows, then you might have been updating
rows more times than necessary (once by explicit update and one or
more unnecessary times by triggers on other rows).

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/