Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew L. Gould
Subject Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Saturday 22 January 2005 06:57 am, Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 06:19:53PM -0600, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> > On Friday 21 January 2005 12:55 pm, Chris Green wrote:
>
> [snip question]
>
> > Many languages have the capacity to access PostgreSQL databases
> > including Python (with PyGreSQL), Perl (with DBI), PHP (compile in
> > support), Delphi and Java (with JDBC) to name a few.  The selection
> > of GUI tools for forms depends upon the language.
>
> Yes, I was hoping for a bit more help than just a language interface
> but if I have to I'll go down that route.

There are many free GUI's built for database access (many of them
web-based using php); but most of them focus on database
administration.

> > You can also use other databases applications that make use of ODBC
> > links such as MS Access and Paradox.  (Attempts with Lotus Approach
> > failed horribly.)  At work, I've used MS Access to create several
> > front-end applications to PostgreSQL database servers.
>
> Now that *is* a possibility, I have Access at least.  Though that
> prevents me making a totally Linux based application.

CodeWeavers has MS Office 2000 working in their Crossover Office (WINE)
product.  Access locks up under heavy load (clinical data analysis), so
it's not an option for my uses; but your needs may vary.

> > Gnumeric, a spreadsheet application, is supposed to be able to
> > access several databases natively (not odbc) via gnomedb.  I've
> > gotten gnomedb to connect to the database; but I can't find any
> > documentation as to how to get the data into the spreadsheet.
>
> Those might be useful too, thanks.

Also, take a look at kexi  (http://www.kexi-project.org), a KDE
replacement for MS Access.  Unfortunately, it's not soup yet.

Good luck,

Andrew Gould