Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Green
Subject Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there?
Date
Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there?  (William Yu <wyu@talisys.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 06:19:53PM -0600, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> On Friday 21 January 2005 12:55 pm, Chris Green wrote:
[snip question]

> Many languages have the capacity to access PostgreSQL databases
> including Python (with PyGreSQL), Perl (with DBI), PHP (compile in
> support), Delphi and Java (with JDBC) to name a few.  The selection of
> GUI tools for forms depends upon the language.

Yes, I was hoping for a bit more help than just a language interface
but if I have to I'll go down that route.

> You can also use other databases applications that make use of ODBC
> links such as MS Access and Paradox.  (Attempts with Lotus Approach
> failed horribly.)  At work, I've used MS Access to create several
> front-end applications to PostgreSQL database servers.

Now that *is* a possibility, I have Access at least.  Though that
prevents me making a totally Linux based application.

> Gnumeric, a spreadsheet application, is supposed to be able to access
> several databases natively (not odbc) via gnomedb.  I've gotten gnomedb
> to connect to the database; but I can't find any documentation as to
> how to get the data into the spreadsheet.

Those might be useful too, thanks.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."