Re: Best Linux Distribution - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Quinton Delpeche
Subject Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 21 January 2005 07:40, Andrew L. Gould wrote:

We are running a 200 user system off a SUN Fire v40z using SuSE Linux 9.2 for
AMD64.

On average we process a JSP page in 300 ms, country wide and have
approximately 300 tables with over 3 000 000 records in the PostgresQL DB.

I would recommend that you look at any Linux distro that supports 64 Bit
architecture... ...32 bit machines just don't cope so well. :)

Initially we running this off a Win 2000 server running MS-SQL but we could
only support 20 concurrent connections... ...if we were lucky.

I then converted the DB to PostgresQL and moved this to a Dual PIV running
Linux and managed to push the concurrent connections up to 50.

We now can support more then 300 concurrent connections and the server keeps
smiling.

The machine is a quad processor with 8GB of RAM which does not really compare
with the PIV as it is in a league of its own, but if you look at the query
response and page response on a case-by-case basis, you will see that the 64
bit architecture is normally 2 to 3 times faster then a 32 bit machine.

Quinton Delpeche
Internal Systems Developer
Softline VIP

Telephone: +27 12 420 7000
Direct:    +27 12 420 7007
Facsimile: +27 12 420 7344

http://www.vippayroll.co.za/

Hier liegt ein Mann ganz obnegleich;
Im Leibe dick, an Suden reich.
Wir haben ihn in das Grab gesteckt,    Here lies a man with sundry flaws
Weil es uns dunkt er sei verreckt.    And numerous Sins upon his head;
                    We buried him today because
                    As far as we can tell, he's dead.
        -- PDQ Bach's epitaph, as requested by his cousin Betty
           Sue Bach and written by the local doggerel catcher;
           "The Definitive Biography of PDQ Bach", Peter
           Schickele

Attachment