Re: Why so much time difference with a same query/plan? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Why so much time difference with a same query/plan?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 13:30:15 +0100,
  Karl Vogel <karl.vogel@telenet.be> wrote:

> This depends on the version of Oracle you're using. Oracle 9i
> introduced Index Skip Scans:
>
>  http://www.oracle.com/technology//products/oracle9i/daily/apr22.html
>
> I don't know whether pg has something similar?

Postgres doesn't currently do this. There was some discussion about this
not too long ago, but I don't think anyone indicated that they were going to
work on it for 8.1.

Postgres can use the leading part of a multikey index to start a scan,
but it will just do a normal index scan with a filter.