Re: V8 Beta 5 on AIX - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: V8 Beta 5 on AIX
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > However, one thing we can do is to try this in Makefile.aix:
> >     # AIX needs threads for everything that uses libpq
> >     LIBS += $(PTHREAD_LIBS)
> > That is going to enable thread libs for all linking including the
> > backend, but it might work.
>
> That is certainly wrong.  The correct thing is to add PTHREAD_LIBS to
> all and only those links that include libpq.  I suspect that the cc_r
> business is a red herring and the real problem is just that you forgot
> to include the libraries --- if so, AIX is probably not the only
> platform that will break.

The discussion at the time was that we didn't want to add a
libpq-specific CC just for Unixware, which we considered broken for not
having libpq dependency information in the library.

Now that we have two platforms that need this we might need to rethink
this, and think of a shortcut for 8.0 like we are already using for
Unixware.

Pennsylvania19073