Re: SSL confirmation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: SSL confirmation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 08:07:26PM +0000, Andrew M wrote:

> are you saying I need to do:
>
> 'select * from myTable where x=y sslmode=require'
>
> to make a request to the database a secure one? If so, as I am using
> Hibernate, do you know how I would alter my maps to reflect this?

No, "sslmode=require" would be part of the string that gets passed
to libpq's PQconnectdb() or its ilk, i.e., the functions that make
the initial connection to the database.  If you're using an abstraction
layer that sits above libpq or an interface that implements the
communications protocol without using libpq, then you may or may
not have a way to specify such connection options.  Check your
interface's documentation.

If your interface sits above libpq but doesn't allow you to specify
connection options like "sslmode=require", then setting environment
variables might still work.  See the "Environment Variables" section
of the "libpq - C Library" chapter in the PostgreSQL documentation.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/