Re: Poor Performance on a table

From: Frank Wiles
Subject: Re: Poor Performance on a table
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Poor Performance on a table  (Pallav Kalva, )
 Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Frank Wiles, )
  Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Pallav Kalva, )
   Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Frank Wiles, )
 Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Pallav Kalva, )
   Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Josh Berkus, )

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:32:53 -0500
Pallav Kalva <> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
>     Thanks! for the quick reply, here are my current default fsm
>     setting .
>  max_fsm_pages   = 20000 and  max_fsm_relations  =  1000
>    What are the appropriates settings for these parameters ? are there
>
> any guidlines ? postgres docs doesnt give much information on setting
> these values.

  There really aren't any guidelines on these because it really depends
  on your data and how you use the database.  If you insert/update 99%
  of the time and only delete 1% of the time, the defaults are probably
  perfect for you.  Probably up to a 80% insert/update, 20% delete
  ratio.

  If however you're constantly deleting entries from your database, I
  would suggest slowly raising those values in step with each other
  over the course a few weeks and see where you're at. It is really
  a matter of trial an error.

  With my databases, I can afford to do VACUUM FULLs fairly often
  so I typically don't need to increase my fsm values.

   Frank Wiles <>
   http://www.wiles.org