Re: Poor Performance on a table

From: Frank Wiles
Subject: Re: Poor Performance on a table
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Poor Performance on a table  (Pallav Kalva, )
 Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Frank Wiles, )
  Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Pallav Kalva, )
   Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Frank Wiles, )
 Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Pallav Kalva, )
   Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Poor Performance on a table  (Josh Berkus, )

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:11:46 -0500
Pallav Kalva <> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
>     I have a table in my production database which has 500k rows and
> from the pg_class it shows the number of "relpages" of
> around 750K for this table, the same table copied to a test database
> shows "relpages" as 35k. I run vacuumdb on the whole
> database (not on the table individually but the whole database) daily.
>
> I think because of this most of queries are slowing down which used to
>
> run much faster before.
>   Is there any way to fix this problem ?

  Try a VACUUM FULL, this will clean up unused space.  You might also
  want to adjust your free space map so that you don't have to do FULL
  vacuums as often ( or at all ).  It is controlled by max_fsm_pages
  and max_fsm_relations.

   Frank Wiles <>
   http://www.wiles.org