Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours!

From: Shridhar Daithankar
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours!
Date: ,
Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Tom Lane)
List: pgsql-general

Tree view

pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Rodrigo Carvalhaes, )
 Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Shridhar Daithankar, )
  Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours!  ("Riccardo G. Facchini", )
  Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  (Thierry Missimilly, )
  Re: pg_restore taking 4 hours!  ("Joshua D. Drake", )

On Wednesday 01 Dec 2004 4:46 pm, Rodrigo Carvalhaes wrote:
> I need to find a solution for this because I am convincing customers
> that are using SQL Server, DB2 and Oracle to change to PostgreSQL but
> this customers have databases of 5GB!!! I am thinking that even with a
> better server, the restore will take 2 days!
>
> My data:
> Conectiva Linux 10 , Kernel 2.6.8
> PostgreSQL 7.4.6.
>
> postgresql.conf modified parameters (the other parameters are the default)
> tcpip_socket = true
> max_connections = 30
> shared_buffers = 30000
> sort_mem = 4096
> vacuum_mem = 8192
> max_fsm_pages = 20000
> max_fsm_relations = 1000

Can you try bumping sort mem lot higher(basically whatever the machine can
afford) so that index creation is faster?

Just try setting sort mem for the restore session and see if it helps..

 Shridhar