Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours!
Date
List pgsql-general
Shridhar Daithankar <ghodechhap@ghodechhap.net> writes:
> On Wednesday 01 Dec 2004 4:46 pm, Rodrigo Carvalhaes wrote:
>> I need to find a solution for this because I am convincing customers
>> that are using SQL Server, DB2 and Oracle to change to PostgreSQL but
>> this customers have databases of 5GB!!! I am thinking that even with a
>> better server, the restore will take 2 days!

> Can you try bumping sort mem lot higher(basically whatever the machine can
> afford) so that index creation is faster?

It would be a good idea to bump up vacuum_mem as well.  In current
sources it's vacuum_mem (well actually maintenance_work_mem) that
determines the speed of CREATE INDEX; I forget just how long that
behavior has been around, but 7.4.6 might do it too.

            regards, tom lane