Re: memcached and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: memcached and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
Michael,

> Still, it seems like a convenient way to maintain cache coherency,
> assuming that your application doesn't already have a clean way to do
> that.

Precisely.    The big problem with memory caching is the cache getting out of
sync with the database.   Updating the cache through database triggers helps
ameliorate that.

However, our inability to pass messages with NOTIFY somewhat limits the the
utility of this solution   Sean wants "on commit triggers", but there's some
major issues to work out with that.   Passing messages with NOTIFY would be
easier and almost as good.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus